Thursday, April 9, 2020

Time to report MARCH 2020 tutoring participation time

Good morning, my dear tutors!
I hope you are all well, and in robust health, physically and mentally. Is everyone holding up OK?

I'm still in St. Petersburg, Florida. My mom's health took a frightening turn and went from bad to critical five days after I got here, but she has been getting better every day. She was hospitalized for a total of five weeks. She's home now, but still has a long way to go before she can live independently. Thank you to everyone who so kindly reached out to me to check on my mom and me over the last month. You have no idea how much that meant.

Our school, like all DPS schools, has staff working remotely indefinitely. Yesterday was the final day of my FMLA leave, so I'm back at work but I'll continue to do that from Florida for as long as I need to be here. Please keep in mind that I'm in a different time zone (two hours later than you) and I'm still caring for my mom, so be patient when trying to reach me.

This week, I'll work on pulling together some blog posts and looking for helpful resources for current and future lesson ideas for you. I know some of you are teaching remotely--hooray!

Here is the reporting link for March hours: https://forms.gle/gsifmfdBh5YMKEiW6

I realize most of you won't have hours to report because of the COVID-19 social distancing and stay-at-home order. That's OK--just make a note of that on the report! Also, a reminder that student interaction time includes: Face-to-face meeting, telephone, texting, Skype/Zoom/Google Hangouts/Facetime, field trips, shopping or appointments together, etc. If it involved you interacting with your student for English or life skills, it counts.
 
I was planning to remind you all that we have an excellent discussion board platform on Moodle, but, uh, I don't know my password. It's back in Denver on my desk. If you still have the instructions in a previous email, I believe you can still sign up and use the discussion boards. The EGTC staff that manages the platform is kind of slammed right now as all EGTC classes have gone online as of yesterday, so I'm planning to leave them alone for the time being.

I will be blogging lesson ideas and other content over at cresltutors.blogspot.com in the coming weeks, so check in there from time to time to see what's new. Also, if you recently wrote an essay about your tutoring experience or you would like to share a lesson or reflection, send the content to me and I'll post it there if it's appropriate.

That's all I have for this morning. You can reach me by email if need be.

Please take care of yourselves and those close to you. I think we're all learning how precious our connections are.

No comments: