Monday, June 21, 2010

More from the Denver Post

Tina Griego recently wrote another Denver Post column following the resettlement of one of Denver's refugees. It is both encouraging and heartbreaking.






Deg Adhikari now approaches his ninth month of resettlement in the United States. He is not sure how time passed so quickly, though he is grateful it did. It means he has been busy, and busy is the friend of all settlers. A stranger in a strange land faced with empty time is likely to fill it with memory and longing. How can you explain yearning for a refugee camp, for walls covered by newspaper and meals of rice, rice and more rice? So, it is best to say none of these things but to speak of that which all humans understand. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss what is familiar, and almost nothing here is.

Yes, it is best to stay busy.

Click here to read the entire article.

No comments: